Thursday, August 26, 2004

the baboon
At the office all the morning and did business; by and by we are called to Sir W. Batten’s to see the strange creature that Captain Holmes hath brought with him from Guiny; it is a great baboon, but so much like a man in most things, that though they say there is a species of them, yet I cannot believe but that it is a monster got of a man and she-baboon. I do believe that it already understands much English, and I am of the mind it might be taught to speak or make signs.
from the Diary of Samuel Pepys, 24 August 1661

This reminds me of a very funny tv sketch from 'Not the 9 O'Clock News' featuring a studio interview with Gerald the gorilla and his owner:
Owner: May I remind you that Gerald was wild when he was captured ...
Gerald (interjecting): Wild? I was absolutely livid!