Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Dresden Dolls

Haven't done a shuffle for a while. This one was unusual because it contained 2 songs I hadn't heard before - the Fred McDowell and the Belle and Sebastian. I'd downloaded them from the Hype Machine but hadn't got round to listening to them. When I heard the version of Billy Jean I had no earthly idea who was playing it. The Daniel Johnston track is one of the strangest songs ever recorded. He sings it during a radio phone-in, with Yo La Tengo playing along in the radio station studio. And, in its way, it's brilliant.

Belle & Sebastian - Billy Jean (live)
Jim White - Girl from Brownsville Texas
Dresden Dolls - First Orgasm
Daniel Johnston & Yo La Tengo - Speeding Motorcycle
Hank Williams - Ramblin' Man
Vic Chesnutt with Michael Stipe - Injured Bird
Talking Heads - Crosseyed and Painless
Mississippi Fred McDowell - Baby Please Don't Go
REM - I've Been High
Sigur Ros - Gong