Thursday, May 06, 2004

Theresa Russell

firewalls, flies and panties
My working life has been insane since my computer blew up. Now I finally have a new computer but it took the best part of two days to get the anti-virus software and firewall to work on it. Was there ever a less helpful company in the universe than Symantec (apart from Micro$oft)? I'd like to ram Professor Norton's reassuringly scientific looking glasses down his throat after what I've been through. As it is I've come up with a temporary fix for the firewall, but now I have to install all my programs again and try to piece together at least some of the stuff I lost when the old computer packed in. Naturally I've got a backlog of work which I'm still struggling to get through on a temporary machine. Nevertheless, I stuck my nose out the door this morning for a few minutes and saw how fresh and green the garden was after the recent rain. There's a certain smell in the air today that makes me want to drop everything, put on the answer-phone and go fishing. Spring is such a great time to be beside a river idly casting a fly across the current. But it's impossible. I have a deadline for an article tomorrow and if it's not there on time there will be a 2 page gap in the magazine, another gap in my bank balance, and a third gap in my employment status. So what do I do about this state of affairs? I write this of course. Actually I wasn't going to say any of this stuff, because when I sat down I was going to write about Theresa Russell. I was watching a bit of 'Insignificance' - the film directed by her husband Nicholas Roeg in which she plays Marilyn Monroe - on television a couple of nights ago, and I started wondering what had happened to her. She's a fantastic actress, and incredibly sexy. So where did she disappear to? Answers on a pair of white lace panties. If I don't reply within two days I've either gone fishing or I'm pummelling Professor Norton into a pulp.