Saturday, February 21, 2004

Glenn Gould

The Canadian pianist Glenn Gould is a sort of touchstone for me. If I discover that someone knows and likes his recordings I feel a sort of bond with them. In my experience an interest in Glenn Gould often implies a slight eccentricity of character, and that is generally a good thing. Of course, since Gould was a great interpreter of JS Bach's music, a love of Bach is usually implied too. I am naturally well-disposed towards anyone who appreciates the greatest musical genius ever to have walked the earth. Hi Enrico.

Recommended Recordings:
The Three Sonatas for Viola Da Gamba & Harpsichord with Leonard Rose (Cello)
The Partitas/Preludes, Fugues and Fughettas
Consort Musicke of William Byrd and Orlando Gibbons
The Goldberg Variations (1981 recording).