Friday, October 27, 2006

Image copyright Alan Edwards. No unauthorised reproduction

The trouble (if that's the word) with Switzerland is that it is such a beautiful country that it is almost impossible to resist taking 'picture postcard' images like the one I posted on Wednesday. Even as a young teenager with no real interest in photography I came back from visits to Swiss relatives with these kind of chocolate box photographs. Perhaps, when I think back, it was the success of some of them - taken with a very basic Instamatic camera - that encouraged my interest in photography. My grandmother, who originally came from Lausanne, was very taken with a couple of pictures of the village of Gruyere that I gave her, and had them framed. They were a bit cheesy, but I remember thinking that they didn't look too bad.