Sunday, June 04, 2006

Gordon (shouting): Hello. I was wondering if I might trouble you for a cup of strong black coffee, and in the process engage you with an anecdote of no small amusement. The name is Gordon Cole and I couldn't help but notice you from the booth, and ... well ... seeing your beauty now I feel as though my stomach is filled with a team of bumblebees.
Shelly: You don't have to shout. I can hear you.
Gordon: I heard that! I heard that!
Shelly: Um, do you want anything besides coffee?
Gordon: I heard you perfectly!
Shelly: And I can hear you, honest.
Gordon: You don't understand. You don't understand Miss Johnson. For 20 years I've been asking people to please speak up, but for some weird reason I can hear you clear as a bell. Say something else.
Shelly: Um, do you want pie with your coffee?
Gordon: Good Lord, I can hear you perfectly. This is like some sort of miracle. A ...a phenomenon.
Log Lady: What's wrong with miracles?
Gordon: What's that?
Log Lady: This cherry pie is a miracle.
Gordon: Would you please ask the lady with the log to speak up.
Shelly: Um, the pie, she was talking about the cherry pie.
Gordon: I heard you again. I heard you again.
Shelly: Would you like some pie?
Gordon: Massive, massive quantities, and a glass of water sweetheart. My socks are on fire.

Twin Peaks writer/director David Lynch, in the role of Agent Dale Cooper's rather deaf boss Gordon Cole, chatting up the gorgeous Madchen Amick as waitress Shelly Johnson