Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Delphine Seyrig in 'L'Année dernière à Marienbad'

Film meme passed on by Brian

1. Total number of films I own on DVD and video:
No idea. I'd guess about 100 on video and half a dozen DVDs.

2. Last film I bought:
Cocteau's La Belle et La Bete on DVD.

3. Last film I watched:
Tarantino's Pulp Fiction on TV. I didn't mean to watch this again, but got sucked into it.

4. Five films that I watch a lot or that mean a lot to me (in no particular order):

Ivan the Terrible - This powerful film is painted on a huge canvas, and it really demonstrates what cinema is capable of. Gance's Napoleon had a similar effect on me when I first saw it, and Tarkovsky carried on this epic tradition in Andrei Rublov. Early directors like Fritz Lang and DW Griffiths also worked on a big scale, but to me their films are shallow and sentimental compared to this searing masterpiece by Eisenstein.
The Colour of Pomegranates - Pure visual poetry, and totally original. I revisit this the same way as I revisit a favourite piece of classical music. I actually find it very moving, but I'm not sure I could explain why.
Wälsungenblut - I only saw this obscure film (based on a short story by one of my favourite writers, Thomas Mann) once, but I have never forgotten the highly erotic closing love scene between Siegmund and Sieglinde. I once tried to track down a copy, but failed.
Last Year at Marienbad - If you could capture a lucid dream on film this is probably what it would look like. It's so cleverly done, with such restraint, that you can't tell whether it's saturated with meaning or devoid of it. The image of Delphine Seyrig above gives an idea of the beauty of the cinematography. Every frame is perfect in itself.
Withnail and I - I couldn't really decide between this and Mike Leigh's gentler but equally hilarious 'Nuts in May'. Both are cult films, but Withnail is probably better known, and Richard E Grant is simply phenomenal as the paranoid, self-obsessed, unemployed actor permanently teetering on the edge of total mental meltdown. Makes me laugh every time.

some more all-time favourite films here

who's next? paquito? elaine? ashleycrowe?