Monday, May 02, 2005

shuffle
I hardly ever do these things but I quite like this one, which I've noticed on a few blogs, most recently the excellent Such Stuff. The idea is to shuffle your digital music files and blog the first sequence of 10. So, from a couple of thousand mp3s on my hard disk I ended up with:

Elvis Costello & the Attractions ~ Pump It Up
Patti Smith ~ Cash
Franz Ferdinand ~ Michael
Tom Waits ~ Rain Dogs
Hank Williams ~ Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain
JS Bach ~ Gigue from Partita #1 ~ Rosalyn Tureck, piano
Ivor Cutler ~ I Ate a Lady's Bun
Velvet Underground ~ Waiting for the Man
Incredible String Band ~ Air
Gavin Bryars ~ Incipit Vita Nova, for Alto and String Trio

It's strange that Hank Williams, JS Bach, The Velvet Underground, and The Incredible String Band are all in there. With so many others to choose from it seems odd that these four all-time favourites should pop up. I don't have many mp3s by them because I usually listen to the orginal CDs. I did another shuffle immediately afterwards and not one of them featured. The Ivor Cutler song refers to a bun in a lady's hair, in case you were wondering.