Monday, March 21, 2005

A candy-colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night
Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper
'Go to sleep, everything is all right'

I close my eyes, then I drift away
Into the magic night. I softly say
A silent prayer, like dreamers do
Then I fall asleep to dream my dreams of you.

In dreams I walk with you, in dreams I talk to you
In dreams you're mine all of the time, we're together
In dreams, in dreams ...

This is a great Roy Orbison song, but it seems to have become tangled up in my mind with David Lynch's film 'Blue Velvet'. It's a bit like being unable to hear the slow intro to 'The End' by the Doors without seeing the opening of 'Apocalypse Now', or hearing the Byrds' 'I Wasn't Born to Follow' without an 'Easy Rider' association. The strange thing is, having just typed the previous sentence, I realise that, coincidentally, Dennis Hopper is in all these films. Anyone else have a similar problem with songs and soundtracks?