Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Doctor Hunter S Thompson - I do not advocate the use of dangerous drugs, wild amounts of alcohol and violence and weirdness - but they've always worked for me

Some may never live, but the crazy never die ...
No-one seems to be able to account for Hunter S Thompson's recent tragic demise, although friends say he had been in pain after breaking a leg in Hawaii, 'executing a hairpin turn at the mini-bar', as he put it. However, it seems that a suicide note has been found, and my friend Terry informs me that the good doctor left instructions for his ashes to be fired from a cannon.

I like the story about how HST decided to stand for Sheriff of Pitkin County, Colorado in 1970 because 'there might be some serious fun in politics'. The Republican candidate sported a crew cut, which prompted Thompson to shave his head and continually refer to his rival as 'my long-haired opponent' - a good joke in 1970. He only lost by a handful of votes.