Tuesday, June 29, 2004

another lomo

copyright alan edwards

I took this picture early one morning when I was going fishing. It was July and we were staying in a Norwegian-style log cabin in the middle of a Highland glen. It had been really cold and wet for days, and when I got up at 5am the thermometer outside showed it was freezing. So I set off wearing lots of warm clothes and waterproofs, plus carrying all the ridiculous paraphrenalia a fisherman needs. By 10am the mist had cleared, the sun was beating down with a vengeance, and I was sweltering in the heat. I found myself stranded in a rocky river basin with no shade, performing an impromptu striptease, watched by an osprey perched on the top of a dead pine tree. It obviously couldn't be bothered fishing either in these conditions. I'd followed the river for miles and was facing a very long hot trek home wearing practically nothing but a pair of waders, but carrying enough baggage for a month in Spitzbergen.