Thursday, May 27, 2004

My good friend Terry sent me this extract from The Adventures of Barry McKenzie. The scene is Paris, where Barry is talking with Colin, a fellow Australian who has "gone native" in France.

BARRY (indicating Notre Dame and the Palais du Louvre): Don't let this clapped-out culture grab you sport. Back in Australia we got culture up to our arseholes.

COLIN (sadly): It's no good, Baz, wild chevals wouldn't drag me back to Oz now. It's a long histoire, but I was once shook on a sheila in Melbourne. We was gonna be married. "Col' she said, "I'd bend over backwards for yer." Then I found out she was bending over backwards for a lot of other blokes as well, including one of me best mates, so I came to old Gay Paree to forget. Mon Dieu! I tell you, Baz, I'd have crawled half a mile over broken glass to hear that sheila piss in an empty jam tin.

BARRY (moved): Gee, mate, did youse ever tell her you felt that way about her?